There is a difference between how you see an unfamiliar place, and how you look at a familiar one. Your perspective changes the appearance of things. It’s that difference that two people have when they enter the same house; to one person it is a new place and has many places to explore, to the other it is home with countless memories to explore.
What is neat about the city is that as you get to know one city, you are semi-acquainted with all other cities. You may not know them like the back of your hand, as you do with your home city, but there is a familiarity yet to be found. It is like visiting a friend’s house that has given you a detailed description of their home. You know the concept and idea of the city, and only the details and specifics are left up for exploration.
I have gone to visit New York City countless times. And each time it seemed to intimidate and overpower me. I enjoyed it for a day, but there was too much unknown to stay much longer (and certainly not on my own). But as I have become well acquainted with my home city, visiting NYC is no longer intimidating. Rather, there’s a sense of homeliness to it.
I no longer visit city life for a day. No, I return and retreat to it. City life is now my comfort zone. Roaming crowded streets on my own is not intimidating, not even in the center of NYC. Actually, roaming Times Square on my own sounds like an exploration adventure...where can I sign up?
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment